Friday, July 16, 2010

Casper, WY to Chamberlain, SD July 9-15, 2010

Good grief, the time has gone by quickly when I'm having such fun! Yesterday, we reached the half-way point in our journey across America--I'm so excited to have more than half of it behind me! There have been many challenges--long mileage days, hot weather, the climbs (they are the hardest for me), head winds, just feeling tired--but I'm blessed with a lot of determination and haven't had to take the sag van. My total mileage biked so far is 1925 miles! Since my last blog, we have passed lots of farmland and the plains in WY and SD. Lots of open space is available out West! In Lusk, WY, they were celebrating Pioneer Days when we arrived--a parade of covered wagons, tractors, Indians on horseback, and candy thrown for the kids to scramble for was a lot of fun! In SD, I went to the Crazy Horse Memorial (off our route so I had to really hustle) and took pictures of Mt. Rushmore. I avoided a hailstorm that day--some of the faster riders were caught in it, and I saw remnants of slush on the ground where the hail hit--the sun was out by the time I came through. The weather has been terrific. Today, we're going to the corn palace and have to load our luggage at 6 a.m., so that's all for now!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. How did you like Crazy Horse? I remember that are as being REALLY hilly.......mountainous, really. WOW! WHAT A WOMAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very moved by the Crazy Horse memorial and all the exhibits and wished I had more time to spend there. It was mountainous, you're right about that!

    ReplyDelete