Monday, June 21, 2010

Astoria to St. Helens, OR 6-21-10

Today, we officially started our bike trip across America! There I am in Astoria, OR, at the start of our ride. It was a cool, cloudy day (temps in the 50's and 60's) with a dampness in the air--the weather reminded me of days spent in Addison, ME in my youth. There are 47 cyclists who are going all the way across to Portsmouth, NH--another 13 cyclists started today with plans to do part of the ride. We are fortunate to have 6 staff members supporting our ride--I was especially thankful around mile 15 today when some shifting issues developed on my bike, but the problem was quickly remedied by our tour leader. I biked the 70-mile route averaging 12 miles per hour, which I thought was great considering the long, gradual climbs we had--the route sheet said we climbed 3,250 feet.
The logging trucks and fishing activities reminded me of Maine as well. After the 50 first miles of climbing (and then going downhill, too), I was delighted to find that the last 20 miles were flat. In fact, it was so much easier biking that I thought I had Leki on a third wheel behind me doing all the pedaling and letting me just coast! Who would like to come on the ride tomorrow?!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: